Week In Review: So you say it's your birthday

Don't know about you, but it seems like this has been and will continue to be a very busy time of the year.

It's not all about me.

Mostly, but not all.

I will say this, I didn't listen to a single piece of music worth mentioning, didn't read a book, no TV or movies, got lots of chores done (which are boring) and went to the water slide park (Not boring, but I wrote about that yesterday, didn't I?)

Anyway, here are a few notables:

Week in Performances:
I did a nice two hour set at a local club for happy hour. Not a huge crowd, but everyone seems to have fun. I was followed by a local weekend warrior group (The Brazen Hussies) and I was thinking of staying, but two hours straight and I was too tired to hang and drink beer. I hope they had a good show.

I also played at a Jim Boy's Tacos. Seems like an odd gig, but it was delightful and the crowd was made up of executives and they seemed to enjoy the show. The best part is that I think I might have some additional phone numbers just in case I need to get a real job one of these days.

Then there was the four hour gig up in wine country. That was a blast. It was hot, but I lost seventeen pounds and at all the carbs I could fill my tummy with. The best part about the show was when I got my first request, "Anything Paul Simon",  I rolled with The Boxer and nailed it. Then I got another request for something country, but I don't know any country songs. Ooops. Gonna have to fix that, but I wouldn't even know where to begin.

If you're reading this, and you're country fan, send me a list of your favorite songs and I'll see what I can do for next time.

I also broke the nail on my left index finger, which sounds like a girlish complaint, but it does mean no plucking for a week, which means the two shows I've got booked for tonight and tomorrow will be strummed. Got a pretty gnarly blister too, but that's manly.

Tonights show, at the Powerhouse Pub in Folsom is a biggie. If I nail it, it could lead to some larger gigs down the stretch, but I'm pretty pumped. The set list will be all twelve string and the show is gonna rock. If you don't have plans after sending me your list of country songs, you should totally come out. Like totally.

Week in Birthday:
My wife introduced me to the concept of the Birthday Month, which I think is wonderful. That means that post July 4th it's all me me me me. There will be parties, and food, and presents, and scotch, and foot rubs, and golf, and cake, and scotch. You should come.

Week in Sports:
No I didn't play any sports, but a few years back my brother introduced me to Fantasy Football, and I'm terrible at it, but it's an addiction to rival heroin eight months out of the year. I couldn't wait any longer for my brother's league to get going, so I joined an open league and took part in a draft last night. I didn't do terrible, but my wifi kicked me off just as I was about to make my third pick and I had stupidly filled my queue with defensive players for the later rounds and I ended up with a line backer instead of a top shelf wide receiver. Ooops. 

But it was free, and there was a ton of smack talk going on, so it will be fun.

Week in Religion:
An audience member at the winery gig asked me if I was a Christian musician. I said that I wasn't, but that I have acquaintances that are. She told me that a lot of my original songs sound like christian songs. I took the compliment. Cause . . . you know . . . fans.

And it was a nice thing to say cause how many times have you been flipping radio stations only to land on a song that sounds really good and then you realize you've been listening to a christian rock station for twenty or so miles? Christian rock is very cleanly produced with solid melodic structure and extremely honest heartfelt performances. Nothing wrong with that category, and in fact two weeks ago I just sent out some of my earlier recordings to a christian label looking for the kinds of songs I just described.

I don't think I'd make it as a christian rock star, cause . . . well . . . reasons, but I'd happily trade my songwriting skills for a turkey sandwich and a devoted fan base. So who knows? I would have to tone down the sarcasm a bit. I don't think I could sell a song like;

"Gee, Thanks for the Birthday Present Jesus. Look Everyone . . . Bread!"

or

"Hell is for sinners, so how did you wind up in Winnamucca?"


But you know, there may be an indie-punk-christian-rock side genre that I could fit into quite nicely.

Anyway, that's my week.

Just like any other week, but this one's mine.




No comments:

Post a Comment