Week in Review: Languid

The new blog format has received some nice positive responses.

Nifty.

Funny circle moment; I was thinking how columing daily would improve my chances of being ready for when the San Francisco Chronicle calls and needs a new OpEd writer, and just as I was thinking that, I heard someone quoting Herb Caan. 

Then, just as I was lamenting my being literarily stuck, I got two new show offers for this month. Now I've got shows to prep for the 12th, 15th, 19th and 23rd.

Nifty.

The word 'Languid' came up a lot too. It means a sort of lazy, unhurried movement. It's a good summer time word. It reminds me of cigars and good scotch with a single cube of ice.

I only mention that because my birthday is coming up.

And I have all the ice I could ever need.

Anyway, here's my Wednesday Week in Review:

Week in Travel:
Went to The City on one of those spur of the moment trips to drop off my neice. It was cold. Had a blast. Ate New England Clam chowder out of a sourdough bowl. Invented a new catch phrase: "Drop it in lava, Aspenlighter" (Lookin at you Felicia)

Week in TV:
I wanted to take back last week's positive review of "Falling Skies" cause it was clearly turning into one of those Big Speech/Save the Baby, Michael Bay meets the guy who directed Independence Day, but they pulled out some cooler naratives heading into the new season so it gets a pass. Basically, it started to get languid, but isn't anymore.

I did, however, binge watch Showtime's Penny Dreadful, which was super languid. Plus naked people. I want to pause to note that I'm a little concerned that there are all these people who don't have combs or brushes and are shaving their faces with Bowie knives and yet all of them seem to have perfectly manicured pubic hair. There's no cure for consumption, but that doesn't stop the whores from getting their Brazillions.

Good shorn perfromances, lots of rememberable monsters, and naked people, especially at Dorian Gray's house.

Week in Books:
It just so happened that I realized I'd never read The Portrait of Dorian Gray. An Oscar Wilde classic. I knew the story, of course, but hadn't sat my ass down to read it. So I did.

I've only got one word:

Languid.

In fact, good ole Oscar uses the word 'languid' three times per page.

I don't mind it, but I find that reading classics sometimes requires a different reading style than what I'm used to with Harry Potter.

You have to stop and think about what was said a lot.

Thankfully, Oscar Wilde gives you lots of stuff to stop and think about. And it's kind of funny how many quotes I recognized. Lots and lots of languid recognizable quotes.

Week in Movies:
Again, only one this week. Wes Anderson's The Grand Budapest Hotel. Very funny, very clean, very Wes Anderson meets a Mr. Rogers' diorama. Flawless and in no way languid.

In fact, it might have been the exact oposite of languid.

Anderson should totally do a movie version of The Portrait of Dorian Gray. Just cause.

And everytime the word languid is used, everyone in the room has to take a long lazy drink of scotch.

Drop it in lava, Aspenlighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment