First Takes - Lie To You

About six months ago I had this cool idea to shoot a video for the commercial version of "Lie To You" where I would take several different people and have them show note cards with the lyrics.

The concept being that the song could function both as a universal piece and something that is uniquely personal.

My niece was kind enough to be my first guinea pig and then I continued shooting with the little guy and myself. I wanted to get more people, but after the jumbling of the cards that you see in the final cut, I sorta gave up and decided to just keep it to the two kids.

Yet, when cutting it, it looked strangely like a love dispute between a 20 year old and an 8 year old, so I recut it using my niece only.

The final product was pretty cool, but not the super cool I was going for (The transitions were just too sloppy, something I'm gonna have to learn how to do better as I go along, I guess) so I shelved the project till I had the time to go back and re-edit it.

Now, when putting First Takes together, I had originally wanted to do the song on the piano, but as I got nearer and nearer the shoot date, I realized I was going to need a lot more practice, so I shelved that idea and then just shot the footage you now see with me and a guitar. (The guitar didn't make the shot, so I'm going to assume that you trust me enough to know I was playing live.)

So there I was with this decent footage, an okay audio take, and this very white blank spot filling most of the screen.

My intention was to fill that void with lyrics like last week, cause that would've only taken me an hour, whereas repurposing the old footage would take me a lot more than that.

The moral of the story is that nothing ever goes right, and the only way I'm ever going to get anything done is to do it the hard way.

The other moral of the story is that the internet likes cute kids.

Next week: Quiet Amy, featuring kittens and Pokemon footage.

Click the picture to take you directly to YouTube.

And, as always, please leave me some feedback when you have the inclination, and please, feel free to share it.

Thanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment