Flu Shots

So yeah,

Sitting in a crowded waiting room.

Waiting to get our flu shots.

I could make a list of things I'd rather be doing, but I'm honestly not certain if you have that kind of time.

This will be the first time I've ever gotten a flu shot.

In fact I'm pretty much against them. There's just something oddly sinister about how convincing the medical community seems to be regarding their importance. Every interaction with every doctor who says "Are you getting the flu shot?" Makes me feel like I'm trying to be sold the "undercoating" for a used car.

In fact, lately I've been compelled to trust the medical community less and less. They just seem like people who are overworked, underpaid, and dreadfully tired of humanity.

Look at the circles under the eyes of a nurse practitioner and take in the smell of sweat and purelle. This isn't an oasis, it's a truck stop.

So why sit in this dank smelling room sandwiched between bodies more befitting a line at Walmart than a yellow brick road?

Is it cause my wife is making me?

Sort of. But only sort of.

See, I'm around a lot of people.

I'm around a lot of people all the time.

And some of them are bound to be sick. And some of them are bound to breathe in my general direction, and I'm just as likely as the next guy to get sick.

And if I get the shot, and I don't get sick, then all is well. And if I don't get the shot and I don't get sick then all is also well.

But if I don't get the shot, and I do get sick, then there's a good chance I get my family sick, cause I am bound to breathe in their general direction.

And since I love them very much, I should probably get it, because if I get the shot and get sick anyway, then at least I can look my beautiful wife in the face and tell her that I did my best.

And then she's more likely to make me dinner.

Among other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment